Saturday, August 14, 2010

Lessons from Hair: Part 2

Hey y'all!

Today we move on to the second lesson from our passage in John.

Judas was not a nice guy (definitely an understatement) and he was very harsh with Mary in this passage. He was offended that she would "waste" such expensive perfume on something he considered frivolous. How many times have we been discouraged by someone who thinks that what we have to offer the Lord isn't the right thing to offer or been discouraged by someone who thinks that what we offer can serve some better purpose?

Yet the Lord Jesus said, "Let her alone; she has kept this for the day of My burial." (NKJV) Did you notice that first part? "Let her alone." How awesome is that? I know many, many times I have wished I could have someone to stand up on my behalf. Mary didn't have just anyone stand up for her, she had the very Son of God!

Jesus accepted and loved what Mary had given to Him, even though Judas found her gift disgraceful. Jesus accepts and loves what we give Him in the same way. He loves our gifts to Him because He loves us. Our gifts may not be the most spectacular, the prettiest, the most obvious, etc. but when we offer them up to God and use them for His glory, He loves them!

As I was typing this post, I was led to see yet another lesson from the words, "Let her alone." I have struggled with assurance most of my Christian life. I don't doubt the Lord, but I doubt myself. Many times I have thought that I deserve condemnation and hell. And you know what? I do! We all do! But the Lord Jesus Christ redeemed us from our sins by His death on the cross! His righteous life is imputed to us when we believe on Him, it's not and never will be about how "good" we can be. Now, of course, this is not license to sin, but it's comforting to know that the work is already completely accomplished. Oh and you know what? If the devil ever tries to convince the Lord that we belong to the devil instead of to Him because of our sin, I feel that the Lord will answer in a similar manner to the way He answered Judas, "Let her alone..."


Have a blessed Lord's Day!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment